Posted April 28, 2023.
No deadline to apply, but candidates are encouraged to send materials promptly. The search will be closed as soon as a dynamic, visionary, and experienced leader is identified. If you are reading this post, the position is still available.
- Pay: $42,000 – 45,000/year
- Contracted Hours: approx. 35/week, flexible
- PTO: 10 days vacation and 5 sick days/fiscal year
- Report to Board of Directors
- Holidays: All federal holidays, week between Christmas and New Year’s, Thanksgiving week
- Benefits: health insurance reimbursement, scheduling autonomy/flexibility, Ability to work from at a distance, earned PTO.
The ideal candidate will have at least 2-3 years of leadership experience in nonprofit management. Must have experience with fundraising, marketing, and financial management. We are seeking someone with exceptional verbal and written communication skills. Knowledge of classical music is essential, preferably with training as an instrumentalist. Must have a passion for working with young musicians. Willing to work a flexible schedule to include occasional evening events and weekends.
As the Youth Orchestra of Greater Columbus enters our 30th Anniversary Season, we are seeking a dynamic new leader to work with our students, supporters, and Board of Directors. Our new Executive Director will be deeply committed to the mission and vision of the YOGC, working hand-in-hand with all stakeholders as we strengthen our current programs and make ambitious plans for the future.
The Executive Director is the administrative leader of the YOGC. The Executive Director is responsible for overseeing the daily operations, financial management, and strategic direction of the organization, working closely on all goals with the Board of Directors. Key duties include fundraising, marketing, and rehearsal and concert production. The Executive Director is committed to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging in all areas of their work. This position reports directly to the Board of Directors and will work alongside the YOGC’s Music Director and Conductor.
Please provide a cover letter that describes your qualifications and interest in this position; your résumé; and 2-3 references (they will not be contacted without advance notice). Email all requested materials as a combined PDF with “Executive Director Search” in the subject line to email@example.com.
All applications will be kept confidential. Please, no phone calls. No deadline, although we hope to fill the position as soon as possible.
The Youth Orchestra of Greater Columbus is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Maintain and nurture relationships with donors, funders, foundations, granters, etc
- Identify and secure corporate sponsors with support of Board
- Research, write and submit grant proposals
- Create and execute mailing of annual fund campaign letters
- Communicate effectively with all funding organizations and private donors via mail, email, phone, and social media
- Create and oversee execution of all fundraising events, including Georgia Gives Day, pops concert ticket sales, and Maestro for a Moment
- Make best reasonable effort to maintain diverse revenue streams sufficient to cover projected expenses every year
- Forecast reasonable revenue and expense goals with Board Treasurer
- Submit annual proposed budget to Board for review and approval at May board meeting
- Supervise and inform bookkeeper of all payroll information
- Maintain financial transparency through reasonable fiscal policies and divided responsibilities between Executive Director, bookkeeper, and Board Treasurer
- Sign all payroll and tax documents in timely fashion, including 941s and 990
- Submit appropriate tax information annually to accountant for 990 preparation and supervise that bookkeeper also submits appropriate information in a timely manner
- Enter all revenue and expense information accurately into Quickbooks
- Sell tickets for ticketed concerts with accurate money handling
- Make best reasonable effort to remain within expense limits set by board-approved budget every year
- Network in community to continually raise awareness of YOGC
- Conduct any and all interviews, appearances, speeches, and other public opportunities to speak about YOGC
- Develop and implement a marketing plan for all YOGC events and activities.
- Coordinate, create, and order all marketing materials needed, including brochures and ads
- Update and maintain YOGC website.
- Write and distribute press releases and media alerts to YOGC’s website and media
- Create and implement a consistent social media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube) plan.
- Create and edit content for monthly newsletter (Constant Contact).
- Secure and coordinate media sponsors and press coverage.
- Create sign up forms for Auditions, Summer String Camp, etc.
- Critically evaluate YOGC programs to ensure their continued effectiveness and relevance with Music Director/Conductor
- Work with Music Director/Conductor to identify additional areas of need for potential new programs
- Work with Music Director/Conductor and Board of Directors to plan and implement new programs effectively, efficiently, and sustainably
- Work with Music Director/Conductor to plan concert season every spring
Board of Directors
- Advise the board on all matters to promote the efficient operation of the organization.
- Schedule and attend all board meetings, executive committee meetings and committee meetings as needed
- Ensure that meeting minutes and financial reports are recorded and filed
- Assist board with board development strategies and recruitment of new members
- Conduct new member orientation meetings
- Assist with annual board planning meeting
- Visit middle and high schools in Columbus, Phenix City, Harris County, and Auburn to recruit new students for auditions and summer string camp
- Distribute brochures to local music stores and private teachers
- Coordinate an audition schedule with Music Director and schedule auditions
- Communicate audition results to students along with invoices and detailed season schedules
- Plan and execute season kick-off: A full day of sectionals, rehearsals, games, recreation, and lunch
- Maintain music library. Order music as necessary and prepare all music folders for each student, conductor and instrument coaches for each concert.
- Secure all rehearsal and performance spaces and hire instrument coaches and substitute musicians as needed.
- Attend and facilitate all rehearsals and summer camp events
- Answer any and all questions from current, past, and potential YOGC students and families
- Write recommendation letters for magnet programs, scholarships, college, and other opportunities for YOGC students
- Pursue masterclass, performance, scholarship, and other opportunities on behalf of YOGC students
- Book performance venues in timely fashion
- Communicate with venue employees all YOGC needs
- Coordinate logistics for all concert performances
- Secure necessary equipment, including tables, chairs, music stands, percussion equipment, orchestra shell, etc
- Execute and manage all concerts.
- Maintain separate databases for students and donors
- Purchase necessary supplies, equipment, etc
- Maintain all documents according to legal requirements including annual registration, liability insurance, payroll tax reports, annual tax returns, membership renewals, etc.
- Recruit, select, and supervise any administrative employees and interns
- Oversee use of the endowed Instrument Fund