10.12.18 – Rainey-McCullers School of the Arts to Host Whitewater Orchestra Festival
October 12, 2018, Columbus, Georgia—The Youth Orchestra of Greater Columbus (YOGC) is excited to announce that the Whitewater Orchestra Festival, scheduled for Tuesday, November 13, 2018, will be hosted at Rainey-McCullers School of the Arts.
The YOGC’s’ Whitewater Orchestra Festival provides middle and high school orchestras in Muscogee County School District an opportunity to perform for adjudicators in a state-of-the-art performance hall, and receive short clinics from the Youth Orchestra’s Maestro Jim Palmer. The participating orchestra directors will receive a recording of their performance, written feedback from three highly-qualified educators, a video of their conducting, and an opportunity to perform in Columbus State University Schwob School of Music’s Legacy Hall. The judges and clinicians include: Sharon Anderson, Dr. Annalisa Change, Cathie Hudnall, and Jim Palmer.
- Sharon Anderson, 41 year veteran orchestra teacher, and nationally recognized orchestra conductor, clinician, and pedagogue. She is the founding director of the Fulton Youth Orchestra programs.
- Annalisa Chang, Ph.D., Director of Music Education at Clayton State University, previously Director of Orchestras at Leon High School and Director of the Tallahassee Youth Orchestras Fundamentals program in Tallahassee, Florida.
- Dr. Cathie Hudnall, Artistic Director and Symphony Orchestra Conductor for the Metropolitan Youth Symphony Orchestra in Atlanta, Georgia, and a retired music educator in Gwinnett County.
- Jim Palmer, Music Director and Maestro at the Youth Orchestra of Greater Columbus, arranger for Alfred Music, and 30 years of experience teaching public school and youth orchestra.
“This festival represents an enormous opportunity for YOGC and the public orchestra teachers to collaborate. Our music teachers work incredibly hard each and every day with students from all different backgrounds. YOGC brings over 100 of them together every week during the school year to work on separate music for separate concerts, but this is a place where we can all come together for a common goal and the betterment of all. We had a wonderful time last year and look forward to improving on that and continuing to serve the students of our community.” – Stephanie Payne, YOGC Executive Director
Schedule for Whitewater Orchestra Festival:
- 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. – Three Performances/Clinics
- 12:00 p.m. to 1:00 p.m. – Lunch Break (not included for participants)
- 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. – Four Performances/Clinics
School orchestras wishing to register should contact Stephanie Payne at 706.256.3614 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Since 1993, the Youth Orchestra of Greater Columbus has been teaching the area’s most talented young musicians. Led by music director Jim Palmer, this outstanding orchestra program includes the Youth Orchestra made up of intermediate and advanced string, brass, wind and percussion musicians; the String Orchestra composed of young string players, chamber groups; ensembles including a percussion ensemble, two string quartets, a woodwind quintet, a brass quintet, a violin ensemble; and a summer string camp. Rehearsals are held each Monday evening during the school season at the RiverCenter for the Performing Arts. For additional information e-mail email@example.com.